About life & quilting: maintenance is always easier than repairs.
I installed this patchwork floor in August 2013. I knew it would benefit from a light sanding and a few more coats of polyurethane at the end of its first year. However, time and energy flew by. I didn’t get around to maintenance until this fall (2015). By this time, we had replaced the refrigerator (which I had just worked around). The new frig left a little original floor showing:
There were also a couple places in the center of the floor where the boards were uneven and the poly & fabric were cracking:
I kept the leftover fabrics and could cut new pieces to repair these ’tiles.’ I used an x-acto knife to cut up the squares with the cracks.
I cut along their edges and they readily peeled up:
I patched and sanded the cracks. Some of them are really too big too really sand flat, so I’ll have to expect to need to pay attention and keep it sealed. I also pieced the little strip by the refrigerator.
I glued new ones back. Then put another 10 coats of polyurethane on the floor over 3 days. I sanded lightly after the first coat. And then again at the beginning of each day. The repairs are close to invisible. And, it should be good for another couple of years!
Thanks for reading through the story of this project. Let me know what you think!