About quilting and life: you can work with what you have and a small budget and make something beautiful.
First I made a sample to test both the technique, which was an experiment, and a design. I sanded a finished board I found in our garage, used a small brush to apply the glue, then the cut batiks. I used a brayer to smooth out the glue. Let it dry overnight, and then applied a couple coats of polyurathane. I looked like it was going to work!
Here are the supplies I used for making the patchwork kitchen floor:
Small hand sander with sandpaper
I used a little square sander that was a bit of a nuisance. I had to buy big sheets of sandpaper and cut them to fit. For round 2 I bought a small rotary sander with the stick on paper. Much easier!
Patch for big dents and little holes in floor
There were some big dings in the floor that I filled with wood filler. Some of the fixes worked better than others.
Fabric, rotary cutter, rulers and mat
The fabric will darken with the polyurathane. It will look like it’s wet. So, test it to see if you’re going to like it that way.
I used my ordinary quilting equipment.
Glue and a brush
As recommended for the paper bag floors, I used a Joann’s coupon and bought a gallon of Elmer’s school glue. I could probably have gotten by with a quart. But, it was only $14 for the gallon. I saved it for other projects, but it would make a good school donation. I just used a medium sized paint brush to apply the glue. I also had a small artist brush for little spaces and corners.
I’d recommend a bigger and better brayer than I had. I was short on time and did not want to make another run to the hardware store.
Polyurethane & brush
I used Varathane, No odor floor finish, High Traffic Formula, fastest drying, water-based, crystal clear SATIN. It was easy to use and 2 years later its holding up nicely.
I needed a sharp knife to trim some of the pieces to fit around the edges.
Fabric, according to measure
The fabric has to be batik. Batik is a firm fabric with little fraying. You could try this with ordinary quilt fabric, but it would be much harder to get a nice seam line, and the frayed edges could be a nightmare.
$100 —10 yds of fabric @ average of $10/yd. Of course I bought about 20 yds of different fabrics before I made up my mind, but I’m not counting the extra…figuring it will go in a quilt sometime. 🙂
$80 —2 gallons of polyurethane.
$14 — 1 gallon school glue
$25 or so—for brushes, x-acto and rotary blades.
TOTAL COST: About $220.